Sunday, June 1, 2008
Saturday June 7th // Come on out + Bring your friends!
photos Devin Lee
Sprout Out Loud! COMMUNITY-COLLABORATIVE GARDENING BEE //
Creation of The Roerich Garden // CP field, southwest of Metro Rosemont
Transformation of a vacant field into a temporary garden, acting as homage to the cultural preservation of the wild space before development plans begin in 2009-2010.
- To bring together 80 (or more) volunteers, and over the course of a few hours, transform this semi-vacant site into a community-collaborative garden (The Roerich Garden). This site is a field centred between industrial and residential zones near metro Rosemont.
- To draw attention to the 9M$ development plans by planting bee balm, red clover and clearing garbage so this space is not forgotten in silence. To demonstrate to the city that people care about this meadow. Bring your friends out!!!
Saturday, June 7th (rain date: Sunday, June 8th)
Presence will be on the site all day from 7 am until 4pm.
* We'll do group actions at 10am-12noon and 2pm-4pm.
On rue Henri-Julien, facing the Carmelite nun's residence.
- from Laurier east, take Henri-Julien direction North…or
- from St-Laurent, take Maguire, direction east…or
- from St-Denis south, take avenue du Carmel, direction west…or
TRY 'google maps': 5400 Henri-Julien
WHAT WE WILL DO:
Prep the ground and clear areas free for seeds. Plant bee balm and red clover upon the already-prepared Roerich symbol (cultural preservation). Picking up garbage, creating a moment of community, through reclaiming the commons.
* If you have any perennials you would like to transplant, we can take them!
WHAT WE ARE ASKING OF YOU:
- Please try to bring work gloves;
- Your lunch;
- 2-3 bottles of water so we may water the seedlings that are planted;
- If anyone has pitchforks, rakes, spades, we need to borrow them!;
- Garden scissors (to cut back dead branches from the trees bordering the site);
- www.youtube.com SEARCH 'Roerich Garden'
- Emily by email: email@example.com
LINKS about the project:
- Le Devoir: http://www.ledevoir.com/2008/04/19/185602.html
- The Gazette: http://www.canada.com/topics/news/features/story.html?id=beab0cc5-677e-4fda-9806-04c10c308b61
photo Devin Lee